• On March 16, 2022, Mercedes-Benz Manufacturing Poland and the Wałbrzych Special Economic Zone “INVEST-PARK” signed a contract for the construction of a railway siding and a logistics centre for the Mercedes factory in Jawor.
• Construction for this low-speed track section will begin in just a few months with completion time scheduled for 2024.
• The new transport infrastructure will primarily serve the environmentally friendly distribution of electric batteries from Jawor to Mercedes factories around the world.
• Dr. Andreas Schenkel, CEO of Mercedes-Benz Manufacturing Poland: – Striving for neutrality in terms of CO2 emissions has been our goal from the very beginning of the factory in Jawor. The plant is powered by 100% renewable energy. The next step in reducing CO2 is the area of logistics. Thanks to the new railway siding, we will minimize road transport to and from the factory. Together with the Wałbrzych Special Economic Zone, we are taking another step towards the sustainable development of our production and distribution.
• Piotr Wojtyczka, CEO of the Wałbrzych Special Economic Zone “INVEST-PARK”: – We are glad that the WSEZ can make a significant contribution to the implementation of such an important project. Mercedes-Benz Manufacturing Poland is a strategic partner for us and another joint investment proves that our cooperation is excellent.
The latest investment includes the construction of a railway siding in the south-western part of the economic zone, Jawor / DSAG S3 sub-area, and a logistics centre at the Mercedes factory in Jawor. The siding will be connected to railway line No. 137 Kędzierzyn Koźle – Kamieniec Ząbkowicki – Legnica. A logistics centre will be built within a 2.6ha area, i.e. a modern transshipment platform with advanced technological infrastructure, intended in particular for the transport of lithium-ion batteries from Jawor to Mercedes car factories around the world.
The project is financed by the Wałbrzych Special Economic Zone and MBMPL and the cost is estimated at tens of million zlotys. A tender will be announced soon. The commencement of construction work is planned for the summer of this year, with completion time line for the beginning of 2024.
The Mercedes-Benz factory in Jawor is an important part of the Mercedes-Benz Powertrain production network (production of engines and drives) and a technologically advanced production site for highly efficient four-cylinder petrol and diesel engines, as well as batteries for Mercedes-Benz plug-in and electric hybrids and Mercedes EQ models. The plant has been producing plug-in hybrid batteries for the C, E and S-Class since 2020, and last year expanded its range to include battery systems for Mercedes-EQ electric compact SUVs.
The factory in Lower Silesia from the very beginning was designed as a CO2-neutral plant, thanks to which it plays a pioneering role within the assumptions of the sustainable development program of the Mercedes-Benz AG concern. It is supplied with electricity by a nearby wind farm (VSB). The factory in Jawor, with a production and logistics area of approximately 250,000 square meters uses modern equipment and innovative Industry 4.0 technologies. It is an important and respected employer in the region (first place in the Forbes Polska “Poland’s Best Employers 2021” ranking in the automotive sector).